Im the mom that randomly decided mid day that she is going to make pretzels out of her favorite cookbook and then realizes half way in that this was more work that she signed up for. But I'm also the mom that would do it all over again because these little suckers are soooo worth it! Husband, wife and kid approved...id make these 100 times over! Serve with a cheese sauce or covered in cinnamon sugar, either way they are a WIN!
-Two 1/4 oz packets of active dry yeast
-1/2 C plus 1 tsp sugar
-1 3/4 C warm water
-5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
-2 tsp salt
-1 tbsp vegetable oil
-1/3 C baking soda
-4 cups boiling water
-1/4 flaky salt or regular salt
-1/2 C (1 stick) butter
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar in the warm water. Set aside until the sugar and yeast are dissolved, about 10 minutes.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, the remaining 1/2 C of sugar, and the salt. Turn the mixer on low to mix the ingredients. Add the oil and the yeast mixture and mix on medium-low speed for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth.
3. Spray a large bowl lightly with cooking spray, place the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm area until dough is doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 425. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 24 inch long rope and twist each rope into a traditional pretzel shape.
6. In a large heatproof bowl, combine the baking soda and boiling water, stir until the baking soda is totally dissolved. Dip each pretzel in the soda/water mixture, then place it on tone of the prepared pans, leaving 1 1/2in. between the pretzels. Sprinkle the pretzels with salt.
7. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Brush each pretzel with melted butter and serve immediately.
TIP: To make cinnamon sugar pretzel, leave off the shrinking of salt. Brush them with butter when out of oven and dip in 1 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon.